Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 3 - word association

I chose my title in a fit of pique and felt rather glib about my choice. Frustrated Fibers - shows something about the blog content and my own private joke about my difficulty completing things fibery when you can't remember a two-line repeat for more than one row. Now three days in and my mom tells me Google sees it completely differently. Google sees it as optical fibers  with light leakage; sounds ominous! Worse are the alternates - IBS and colon issues. EEWWW!  So I have gone from a slightly nutty fiber arts and crafty blog (with a side of farm, food, and gardening)  to colons and leakage. Not a great start; why did I want a blog.....







Oh well.  Rhubarb was historically thought of as a digestive aide, right?

From the Farm Journal's Country Cookbook

Rhubarb Pudding Cake
Serve in dessert bowls. Pass a pitcher of cream to pour over (I used milk)

4 c. diced fresh rhubarb (frozen from last fall) 
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. water

1/4 c. shortening
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c.flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk

Oven 350`

  • Cook rhubarb, 1c. sugar and water until rhubarb is tender, keep hot.
  • Cream shortening and 1/2 c. sugar; beat in egg and vanilla
  • Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
  • Pour batter into greased 9" square pan, Spoon hot rhubarb sauce over batter. Bake in moderate oven 40 minutes.  Makes 9 servings.
The rhubarb melts into the batter while it cooks so there's gooey rhubarb and vanilla cakey goodness in every bite. Plus you have the bonus of the house smelling yummy! A big plus when it's snowing and 10 degrees outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! It's always nice to know I'm not just talking to myself.